For thousands of Indian adults and children suffering from blood cancer and thalassemia, stem cell transplantation from a matching bone marrow donor or umbilical cord blood is the only cure. The chances of an Indian finding a match in international inventories is less than 10% and costs over USD 46,153 to import a single unit of stem cells.
Jeevan's Public Stem Cell Bank was set up to provide quick and affordable access to matching stem cells from donated umbilical cord blood, to Indians suffering from blood cancer and thalassemia and is working towards increasing the inventory to 30,000 units by 2020. Jeevan has also started a Bone Marrow Donor Registry to enroll 30,000 adult donors.
What We Do
• Jeevan works with obstetricians across the country to promote cord blood donations.
• It has collected over 7,000 cord blood donations and processed, tested and stored over 4,100 stem cell units.
• It also works with ethically run blood centers and organizations promoting voluntary blood donation across India, to recruit committed blood donors as bone marrow donors. This is to ensure maximum conversion of registrations to donations when the need arises. The cord blood bank currently gets 15 requests a month.
• Jeevan has facilitated two successful transplants. Until March 2015, of the 344 requests received, five 10/10 and 35 9/10 matches were found.
• The high-resolution HLA typing laboratory supports the needs of hospitals and patients across India. Jeevan has completed over 5,000 HLA typings and provided additional support to patients, instead of sending the samples to USA and Germany, which has so far been the usual course of action.
VOICES FROM THE GROUND
Dr P Srinivasan, Chairman and Co-Founder
• MD, Medicine
• Recipient, TiE (TN) Social Entrepreneur of the Year award, 2012
• Charter Member, Social Impact Special Interest Group of TiE, Chennai
Dr Saranya Narayan, Co-Founder and Medical Director
• Director of Lister Laboratory for 20 years
• Recipient, Champions of Chennai award, 2015
Partners and Funders
• GangaHospital, Coimbatore
• Womens Centre, Coimbatore
• Fernandez Hospitals, Hyderabad
• Seethapathy Hospital, Chennai
• Over 50 smaller hospitals to promote cord blood donation
• Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
• Jamsetji Tata Trust
• United Way of Chennai
• Government of Tamil Nadu
• Technology Services Revolving Fund
• Sundaram Finance Limited
• Consul General of Australia
• Cognizant Foundation
• The Rotary Foundation
• India Cements
• Gimpex Foundation
• True Value Homes
• Chaitanya Builders
• TVR Foundation
• Street Edge Foundation, USA
Awards and Endorsements
• Champions of Chennai award, 2015
• Best Not-for-Profit Hospital Award by FICCI and of Tamil Nadu government, 2015
• Public Cord Blood Bank is certified to ISO standards, 2011
• Jeevan Blood Bank is accredited to ISO15189 standards (NABH), 2010